Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Training Troubles

In architecture, one of the most exciting parts of student life is training. I mean, it's exciting when you really think about it. We spend months looking for someone who will be kind enough to take us on as an intern. We beg teachers for recommendations. We can't contain our excitement (and relief) when we finally get a spot as an intern. And then we start wishing for the semester to be over just so we can start with something new. Maybe it's not like this for everyone, but it is definitely like that for e, although it may have something to do with the fact that college gets incredibly boring by third year, second semester.

Applying for internships is an experience in and of itself. It can be frustrating, confusing and also very new. Obviously, we all have some stories about the process and that is what this post is all about.

For me, the funniest experience was when I applied to an internship in the UK. It was a long shot and I knew I wouldn't get it, so it was basically something I did for fun. I was surprised when the very next day I spotted a reply in my inbox. While the mail loaded, I didn't know what to think. Was someone actually going to accept me? Or was it a form rejection?

As it turns out, it was neither. Following is the reply I received from the firm:

Dear Shreyonti,

Thank you for your email. If I could offer a small word of advice. When pitching for a job by email and promising attachments of your work, it does look better if you actually attach something.

best wishes

Gordon
Gordon Clarke  DipArch, RIBA, CA
Director



I sent my portfolio again, along with profuse apologies, but needless to say, I didn't get in.

Today, in the comments section, I request you to post any stories you might have regarding application for internships. All kinds of stories will be appreciated, from funny to sad to just plain frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment