Monday, November 2, 2015

Architecture In Old Town, Innsbruck

I have already told you something about modern architecture in Innsbruck. Now it's time to discuss the architecture in the older parts of town.

Old Town, Innsbruck attracts thousands of tourists every year, and I can see why. Think of a colourful, historic square framed by snow-capped mountains. Now I was there in summer, so of course I saw no snow, but that didn't make the place any less charming. Unfortunately, like I have said before, I was only there for a day, so I had very little time to explore. Here I have done my best to document the superficial architectural features I noted in Old Town and I would really appreciate it if anyone can add to my observations.

Me and my mom in Old Town
The architecture in the Alpine parts of Innsbruck tends to be very colorful. I guess it's because when it snows, the architecture becomes the only source of color in the landscape. I am a huge fan of color, and that's why I took a liking to the buildings here.

Just look at all the color:



The first building of note is the Golden Dachl, a royal box constructed by Emperor Mixmilian I and decorated with exactly 2,657 fire-gilded copper tiles. I didn't find it especially exciting in terms of massing or elevation design, but the colorful exterior, complete with a mural featuring the king and his two wives, makes for a colorful display in the city centre. Murals in the exterior are, according to me, an ignored form of architectural decoration, and I fully encourage it.

The Golden Dachl
The second building on note is Helblinghaus, and it is an architectural specimen representing several architectural movements as it was renovated several times over the centuries, with many additions.

Helblinghaus, which stands right across Golden Dachl
I didn't get to see the interior, but what's fascinating about the exterior is the 'icing' like decorative mouldings, a characteristic of Rococo style as seen in the Tyrolean region. For more information, go here.

A characteristic of the streets here, besides the burst of colours, is the verticality of buildings that enclose it. Just picture narrow street with narrow, high buildings on either side, each with it's own unique facade. Most of these streets open out to a square (a planning feature ignored in recent times, due to vehicular traffic etc.).

Streets of Innsbruck

In terms of structure, you see ample number of pointed arches, vaulted ceilings (especially ribbed vault). Glass windows sans sunshades are common for obvious climatic reasons, and their colors and shapes are varied for elevation design.

That's all for now. Stay tuned to the blog for more architectural information I gather on my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment